MPdB > 2017 election>
A number of reasons have been suggested for Terri May's UTurn. These include:
- To gain a Brexit mandate (TM's principal stated reason)
- To stop Corbyn resigning (Independent and elsewhere)
- To prevent blockages by the Lords
- In fear of multiple by-elections arising from malpractice in the 2015 elections
- To end the budgetary constraints imposed on the Chancellor by, inter alia, the state pension triple lock and the Cameron/Osborn promises not to increase income tax, national insurance and VAT, not to mention overseas aid
More to follow.